Partner Migration

Partner Migration

Home » Partner Migration

The Department of Home Affairs offers different visa pathways to allow married or de-facto partners (including those in a same-sex relationship) with an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to enter and remain in Australia permanently.

There are two types of partner category visas: Prospective Marriage visa and Partner visa. The type of visa for which you should apply depends on the type of relationship you are in.

Prospective Marriage (temporary) Subclass 300

A prospective marriage visa allows the applicant to marry in Australia. This is a temporary visa valid for nine (9) months and it can only be granted while you are outside Australia.

To be granted a prospective marriage visa, you need to provide evidence of your intent to marry an Australian, an eligible New Zealand citizen or an Australian permanent resident.

Partner Visa (subclasses 820 and 801) and (subclass 309 and 100)

The partner visa allows you to enter and live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

To be eligible for this visa, you must:

  • Be sponsored by your partner who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Have a valid marriage under Australia law; or
  • Be in a de-facto relationship for at least 12 months immediately before the application. Under compassionate and compelling circumstances, the visa can be granted where a relationship exists for less than 12 months.
  • Provide evidence that this is a genuine and continuing relationship.

The partner visa is a two-staged process. At the first stage, a temporary visa is granted. The second stage occurs two years after the initial application, to determine if the relationship is still genuine and continuing, before a permanent visa is granted.