Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
The 482 it is a temporary work visa which allows employers to hire overseas skilled labour for up to four years. It is a three-stage visa process that checks the eligibility of the business and employee.
This visa requires a job offer and acceptance of skilled employment in Australia. It is also essential that you must have all of the relevant qualifications and/or work experience to be able to fill that position.
As the holder of a 482 Visa, your employer may be able to nominate you for permanent residency through the transitional arrangements that are currently in place.
These are the three stages involved in subclass 482 Visa applications:
a) Business to make a sponsorship application. The sponsor will need to meet:
- The Australian (or Overseas) business must be approved to employ overseas workers to work in Australia.
b) Business to make a nomination application, the sponsor will need to meet:
- The sponsor must establish the need to employ a temporary overseas worker;
- Pay the temporary overseas worker a salary that is in accordance with at least the market salary and pay no less than the current Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold. The contract of employment must also be in accordance with Fair Work Australia;
- The position must provide equivalent terms and conditions of employment to the temporary overseas worker that would also apply to an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia who is, or may be, employed by the sponsor.
c) Applicant to make a 482 Visa application – To be eligible for a 482 Visa, you need to meet (among other things):
- Have been nominated by an approved business in an eligible occupation;
- Have relevant qualifications and/or skills;
- Have sufficient English language ability, if required;
- Hold registration or license, if required;
- Hold adequate health insurance;
- Be of a good character and health.